The Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Monitor called for serious and rapid action to end the siege of the city of Taiz, and to take all possible steps to reduce the suffering of millions of Yemenis living there.
The Euro-Med Monitor said in a press statement on Thursday, that the difficult humanitarian conditions experienced by the population in Taiz necessitate the parties to the conflict and the United Nations to give the issue of lifting the siege of the city utmost importance in the current understandings, especially in light of the existing armistice, and the implementation of some of its provisions such as stopping military operations, and conducting the first flight Commercial from Sanaa International Airport after about 6 years of stopping.
The Euro-Mediterranean Monitor expressed its hope that the direct talks that started yesterday evening, Wednesday, in the Jordanian capital, Amman, between the delegations of the Yemeni government and the Houthi group will contribute to opening roads and crossings in Taiz and the rest of the regions, and enabling residents to exercise their right to freedom of movement.
He stressed the need to agree on extending the armistice that has been in place since the beginning of last April and ends in early June, to allow for the implementation of more steps stipulated in the armistice agreement, which would contribute to de-escalation and alleviate the humanitarian crisis that is suffering. country due to the conflict.
The fourth clause of the armistice agreement states that “as soon as the armistice enters into force, the Special Envoy will invite the parties to a meeting to agree on opening roads in Taiz and other governorates to facilitate the movement and movement of civilians, men, women and children, by taking advantage of the atmosphere created by the armistice.”
The Euro-Mediterranean Monitor indicated that the Houthi group, which has controlled most of the vital ports of Taiz since 2015, has continued to close the supply route and impede the flow of humanitarian aid to the besieged population, in addition to restricting the movement of the population and forcing them to take long, rugged and dangerous roads that caused the death of dozens of them in separate incidents. during the past years.
He pointed out that the bombing and sniping operations carried out by the Houthi group at varying rates during the past seven years led to the killing of hundreds of civilians and the wounding of thousands.
And he indicated that the siege of the city has caused a deterioration in the humanitarian situation at various levels, as the prices of basic foodstuffs have risen dramatically as a result of the high costs of transportation due to the length and dangerousness of the roads, in addition to the lack of potable water, and the poor level of medical services provided to the population and the difficulty of obtaining them, especially for those with chronic diseases. Those who live in the countryside of the city and have to travel long distances through dangerous roads to reach the city and get treatment.
Director of Operations at the Euro-Mediterranean Monitor, Anas Jerjawi, said: “Despite the horrific humanitarian crisis caused by the siege of Taiz for millions of residents, the movement to end this tragedy remained largely limited, as the besieged residents did not perceive any positive repercussions of the announced truce, and there are no signs so far. To ease the siege imposed by the Houthi group on the city.
He added that “the United Nations initiative and sponsorship of the existing truce requires it to intervene with the various parties to implement all its provisions, foremost of which is the opening of roads in Taiz, and allowing freedom of movement and the flow of humanitarian supplies.”
The Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Monitor urged the Houthi group to fulfill its commitments under the armistice agreement, open roads and crossings in the city of Taiz and end its isolation from the rest of the Yemeni governorates, and not to delay or link this humanitarian file with other political or field files.
The Special Envoy of the Secretary-General of the United Nations to Yemen, Hans Grundberg, called for working with all parties in Yemen to extend the existing armistice, which could pave the way for a comprehensive and final cessation of military operations, and create the atmosphere for launching a constructive dialogue in order to reach a peaceful settlement of the conflict that would save millions of Yemenis from risk of starvation.